Tuesday 29 April 2008

What is The Beer Revolution?

I'm a dissatisfied man.

Why?

Cause the beer commonly available in Ireland is rubbish.
We're loosing traditional Irish beers faster than you can say, "maybe they're all gone".
We're importing more and more foreign beer but it's almost all lager of varying quality.
Our development and support of microbrewerys is painfully slow.
We're developing sophisticated taste in wine, beer, whisk(e)y, vodka, rum and almost every beverage you care to name except beer.
We're becoming known as a nation of binge drinkers.
The vast majority of our bar staff know next to nothing about beer.

If you share any of these feelings then please make The Beer Revolution a regular haunt.
I hope to encourage, berate, shake up, annoy and support the drinks industry in Ireland.
I also hope to maybe inject a bit of humor into the process.

If you are a in the trade I will gladly promote your business if I feel you have something to offer beer in Ireland. But I decide.

Contact me if you sell quality beer. I'd love to help.
Over time I hope to promote many pubs and off licences and distributers but I can only do this if I know you're there. Contact me.

Until next time - drink up, sensibly!

8 comments:

The Beer Nut said...

So, with my dapper Devil's Advocate hat on, what makes you think "the beer commonly available in Ireland is rubbish"? Surely millions of pint-drinkers can't be wrong?

The Beer Revolution said...

Suits you sir, that hat!

Millions of Big Mac eaters can't be wrong?
White sliced pan is quality bread.
Uncle Ben's sauces - yum!
Individually wrapped cheese slices (none of your fancy stuff)!
Picnic ham (mmm wet and reconstituted)!
The French adore Piat D'or!
Oh and the Crazy Frog!
Need I go on?

If popularity is a sign of quality...
well if it really is then I'm wrong.

The Beer Nut said...

OK, so it may not be as high-quality as your metrosexual hand-crafted-by-Belgian-gnomes girly beers: but I want a pint of plain. I want a smooth, creamy, cool, refreshing pint of stout like my oul fella drinks. Is there something wrong with that?

Thomas said...

Things are far from ideal, I'll grant you, but to say that lagers are the only beers arriving from abroad to our shores is untrue. I have a beer fridge full of wonderful imported beer from many countries. Granted Dublin may be better served, but the times they are a changin'. Of that I have no doubt.

The Beer Revolution said...

On second thoughts, Beer Nut, maybe that Devil's Advocate hat doesn't suit your colouring!
We're lucky to have stout in Ireland. At least it gives us another mainstream choice. But try finding Beamish outside of Cork! Thing is I, personally don't care for draught Guinness.

Thom, I too have a cellar of interesting beer. My gripe is with what's available on the average bar/hotel shelf. Granted there are exceptional bars and I hope to bring them to people's attention here.

The Beer Nut said...

Beamish is readily available in Dublin. Are you excluding it from your designation of most common beers as rubbish?

Personally I think that nitro stouts are as much a blight on the beer landscape as the proliferation of bland lagers.

The Beer Revolution said...

I agree that the modern Irish, nitrogenated stout is just another mass produced, industrial beer.
Having said that, I am quite partial to a well handled pint of Beamish.
The other factor stout has in it's favour is that it does challenge the first time stout drinker. If young Irish people can develop a taste for stout, then maybe there is hope beyond alcopops, sweet shots and bland lager?

Thomas said...

Stout, even if completley rounded off and stunted in its nitrogenated form, is the most likley gateway beer for those who stick to unchallenging lagers, but stout suffers from a terrible image problem, and many younger drinkers won't touch the stuff.