Thursday 19 June 2008

A Valuable Lesson from the Finns



Right, I’m back from Finland and sufficiently recovered to write about my experiences – the lack of darkness there at this time of year does tend to encourage late nights without epic lie ins.

On my very first day there, The Beer Revolution learned a valuable lesson. I guess that this lesson could have been learned anywhere but it took a wonderful visit to Finland to bring it home to me.

Believe it or not, the lesson learned was; there are far more important things in life than beer. That statement may seem obvious, even to me but I learned that, even in the context of social celebrations, beer and wine are really secondary elements.

To explain; I was at a close friend’s wedding in Finland. After the ceremony, we all gathered at a rural equestrian centre where a Finish buffet was laid on, complete with barn dancing and musical recitals (the family in question are, without exception, ridiculously musically talented – even the in laws). We ate, made new friends, danced, listened to music, petted goats and horses and drank wine from wine boxes and generic Finish lager from cans. Not the kind of drinking one might associate with The Beer Revolution (who’s also rather particular about what kind of wine he drinks) but did I care? I was far too busy enjoying the occasion and appreciating the people around me to give one flying toss about what I was drinking. You know, sometimes it really just doesn’t matter!

I always knew that people are far more important than beer but I would have thought that at something like a wedding, the alcohol served was of paramount importance. It’s not. This was one of the most enjoyable social events I’ve been at and the unpretentiousness of the beer and wine became a part of that.

For our wedding, my wife and I put great thought and effort into what alcohol was served and we had a wonderful day. I’m glad we did but that’s our thing. I now realise that our guests would have enjoyed the day just as much had we not done so. Oh, but we had some nice beer and wine, all the same!

I guess, what I’m saying is that if beer and wine is your thing, then go for it – source fine beer and wine for your celebrations. If it’s not, don’t. Either way your guests won’t judge you, good or bad. If they’re real friends, that is.

So, after my first, long day, bright into the morning, I had no great expectations for beer in Finland. At this stage, I was so in love with the place and so enamoured with the people we’d met that I didn’t really care. It wasn’t, after all, a beer trip.

But did the Beer Revolution find any beer to tickle his fancy, any bars to stimulate the senses? Well, children, that is a story for another day!

My Last Drink Was; Herencia Remondo La Montessa Rioja Crizanza 2004, 13.5%, Glass

No comments: