Thursday 24 July 2008

Never Give Up

Regular visitors will have noticed that I haven't updated recently.
Why?
Disillusionment.
Yup.
I became disillusioned.
I guess every revolutionary becomes downheartened. The truth is that most revolutionarys fail. Most revolutions fail.
But some don't, that is, if the revolutionarys don't give up.

So onward all ye faithful. Onward to the paradise where every bar sells good quality, locally made regional beer on draught and some bit of a selection of classic beers in bottles. Onward to a place where good beer is held in the same regard as good wine. Onward to a time when licensing laws allows the sale of beer wherever wine is sold. Onward to a culture that can drink strong beer in moderation. Onward to a society where all the publicans have vision and imagination and do not control the actions of our government. Onward to when almost all the breweries in the world aren't owned by three multinational companies. Onward to a climate of diversity in beer, when pale yellow, fizzy lager will not be every county's mainstay brew. Onward to when hotels sell quality beer (imagine that!), to when restaurants treat beer menus like wine lists, to a time when the quality of beer served at social occasions matches the quality of the food, wine and spirits. Equality for beer! Honour for beer! Respect for beer!

I need an anthem (replies on an ecard, please)

So, after that revolutionary call that has my blood pumping and my spirits up and given me a future to strive for, I reckon, I can explain my downtrodden feeling of before.

It's very easy to live in a bubble:
I always have a source of good beer from The Abbots Ale House, Cork. I usually only drink in pubs that stock good beer (The Bierhaus, Sin É, The Mutton, The Oval, Cane Lane). Most of my friends have, to varying degrees, a preference for drinking good beer rather than industrial lager. I talk on the internet about beer with beery people. I know people in the industry. I seek out beer when I travel abroad.
I can live, most of the time, in a world where it doesn't matter to me that the vast majority of pubs sell only mainstream beer, supermarkets sell frighteningly large amounts of frighteningly discounted lager, and wealthy people drink fabulously expensive wine and spirits but cans of cheap beer. I can convince myself that it doesn't matter to me. People can do as they wish - I'm all for choice.


But some of the time it does matter to me.
It matters to me when I go to a concert and want a beer. It matters to me when I go to a wedding and want a beer. It matters to me when I stay in a hotel and want a beer. It matters to me when I go to a restaurant and want a beer, when I meet a friend in a regular bar.

I have a friend who drinks vodka and diet coke and pretty much nothing else. Apart from the expense of such drinking habits, I envy him. He can have his drink of choice, pretty well presented, in any bar almost anywhere. The same goes for a Heineken drinker (albiet to a lesser degree due to freshness of keg and flow on line etc.).

The obvious answer is for me to drink vodka and coke or Heineken or Guinness or move to Belgium or Germany but I'm not being difficult when I say that I don't like any of the above drinks. I really don't. I could drink gin and tonic or Bushmills or something but when I go to the pub I happen to like drinking beer - not wine (I love wine with food) or spirits or sweet shots or anything else.

The huge vastness of lack of choice available, outside of my little bubble, got me down, almost made me give up hope.

I analysed my choices.

a. Drink Heineken or Guinness in bars.
b. Drink whiskey or gin in bars.
c. Stop going to bars.
d. Drink water in bars.
e. Stay inside my little beer bubble.
f. Try to keep the revolution alive and influence one person at a time in the hope of encouraging some real choice in the market.

I decided on f. with strategic use of d. at times.

The Beer Revolution is reborn (until it gets tired again)

P.S. This post was more about me than I normally like this blog to be. Forgive my introspective indulgence, please.

My last drink was; Green Spot Irish Whiskey, 40%abv, a small one

7 comments:

The Beer Nut said...

I've mostly gone for c. The Irish pub, to generalise, is insanely over-rated, selling poor product at high prices in unpleasant conditions. If I can't get a good beer while I put up with the other crap I see no reason to be there.

And welcome back, btw.

The Beer Revolution said...

Thanks.

I often go for c. too but sometimes it's very awkward to avoid meeting someone in a pub of their choice.

All moral support appreciated.

The Beer Nut said...

"But the beer in there is shit" is my normal response.

Actually, I'm quite lucky in having very few swill-loving mates. They're mostly either wine and whiskey buffs, or else they're the ICB mob, either of which makes them natural enemies of the standard Irish pub too.

lisa said...

So what happened the renewed revolutionary fervour in the past two weeks?

And, off-topic, do you think beer obsession/snobbery/connoiseurism is a mainly Northern European thing? Having just spent a long weekend in Barcelona, where the occasional Estrella lager went down very nicely in the 30 degree heat, no other beer seemed to be available (in the one restaurant where the intriguing-sounding Estrella Inedit - bottle-conditioned, "specifically created to accompany food", with "a unique coupage of barley malt and wheat with hop, coriander, orange peel, liquorice, yeast and water" - was advertised, they didn't have any). But the local wines, vermouth, brandy, etc. all went down very nicely indeed with some fantastic food!

The Beer Revolution said...

Alan,
Work has gotten in the way of my revolutionary zeal - should be back in action over the next few days.

You probably are onto something there - beer is,I guess, not as big a thing in vine growing regions. Most hotter countries tend to only produce lager. When in Rome.....

lisa said...

Another off-topic issue regarding the headache-inducing qualities of Paulaner Hefeweiss that Heineken have been flogging hard since the takeover in 2001: "In my opinion the Paulaner beers have got considerably worse in the last 10 years. The cause is skimping on raw materials. The use of hop extract - as listed on the label - is a very bad sign. If you want to see the effect, try tasting Augustiner Edelstoff and Paulaner Original Münchner alongside each other. In the type of pale lager beers that make up much of Paulaner's sales you just can't get away with cutting corners. It's all too obvious in the end product." This was written in 2003 I think, so things could have gotten worse since, as Heineken planned to "double production of Weißbier to 2 million hectolitres". This is from http://www.xs4all.nl/~patto1ro/munibrew.htm which, incidentally, also gives the Paulaner Salvator a "disappointing" rating ("Not complex enough for its strength. Not really dark enough either.").

Anonymous said...

Keep it up, I'm enjoying your writing and have been meaning to contribute more.

I've currently applied for university but, if I don't get in (which is looking less and less likely by the day), I'm considering buying myself a van, loading it up with beer in Franconia (an area of Bavaria noted for it's beers) and bringing it back to the UK and Ireland. Would certainly be looking to sell it in Ireland as that means I would be able to set my tax residency there.

Last night, I enjoyed a couple of Tucher weizens and a couple of Neumarkt bio-weizen. I don't hold much stead by this whole organics stuff but I'm fairly certain there'd be a market for this Neumarkt bio beer (and there's a number of other organic beer suppliers in the area.

Don't give up, you'd never know, you might have someone doing regular beer deliveries from the heart of Bavaria within the next few months.

Of course, he'd want a hand too but I'm sure some folks would be obliging...