Tuesday 6 May 2008

The Beer Snob

Along with trying to change the attitude towards beer and alcohol in general in Ireland, I've realised that I also need to tackle the attitude towards people who are passionate about beer.

I was told in a forum that I "seem fierce snobby about beer".
I'd like to get to the root of what that means.

Is it a latent inferiority complex in many Irish people?

"You drink beer that you claim is better beer than me so you must be a snob"

I don't buy that. I think no less of a person regardless of what they drink. I ask the same for me.

"Irish people are slow to accept change."

I don't accept that either. The shelves and taps of almost all pubs has changed dramatically in the last ten years. We've had a rash of long-neck lagers, light lagers, light cider, alcopops, Red Bull. More draught lagers have come and gone than most publicans can even remember, and remember Guinness Extra Cold? (Ice cream headache)!
Irish people accept change if it's wrapped up in mainstream marketing but if I want quality, flavoursome beer, I'm a snob.

Look at the sea change in coffee in Ireland. We've come from cheap instant, through filter coffee and cafetierres to proper espresso. Now we just need to learn how to handle the beans properly and operate the machines but no one is called a coffee snob for not wanting to drink instant coffee - hell, filter coffee is almost the new instant!

One of the many things about quality beer that I love is that it's within almost everybody's reach, irrespective of socio-economic status.
I know I can't afford to drink very top end wine - one can pay thousands for a bottle of wine -there is no real upper limit. I have to drink what I can afford.
The finest beers in the world, on the other hand, cost maybe twice as much as cheap beer. Just drink less or less often. Apart from a few notable exceptions, top-end beer just doesn't get very expensive, so again, I wonder about the 'snob label'.

I think I'm gonna need some help to figure this one out.

Or maybe I should just accept that a refusal on my part to drink beer that I don't like and which will give me a headache, makes me a snob.

My last drink was; Trappist Orval, 33cl, 6.2%abv (allegedly), at home.

4 comments:

The Beer Nut said...

This has nothing to do with what you're drinking. You can drink what you like and no-one in their right minds will call you a snob. It's when you (or anyone) has a go at what other people are drinking that accusations of snobbery are opened.

"I don't like Bud. It's watery and tasteless": Fair enough. Honest opinion.
"Bud is piss. If you drink Bud you're a piss-drinker. Don't drink Bud, drink Meantime IPA instead": Snobby.

Drink and let drink. Otherwise you'll look like a snob.

The Beer Revolution said...

Well put.

So, you mean, people who drink quality beer aren't better looking, more intelligent, more cultured and generally better people than everyone else?

The Beer Nut said...

No, people who drink Miller, Carlsberg and Heineken are those things. TV said so.

The Beer Revolution said...

Ah, those beautiful people between the age of 26 and 29!