Wednesday 7 May 2008

T' Bolleke




Most beer enthusiasts don't have one favourite beer.
They may have a favourite of each of many styles.
One's favourite beer can change depending the time of day, the weather, the location, company etc. etc.

Today's post is on what is, probably, my favourite draught tipple.

There is nothing quite like a cool Bolleke in an Antwerp pub full of character and characters (my favourite pub for a Bolleke is Den Engel on Grote Markt).
The funny think is, there is no beer called Bolleke in Antwerp or, as far as I know, anywhere else.
The beer is called De Koninick. 'Bolleke' refers to the glass that De Konnick is served in - a 25cl bowl shaped chalice - but I've never heard anyone order anything but a Bolleke.

De Koninick is a Belgian ale. It is reddish in colour and is smooth, subtle and fresh to drink.
It has warm toasted malt flavours, fruity ale yeasts notes and is gently hopped and at 5%abv is a very balanced everyday drinking beer. There is a brightness and thirst quenching quality to this beer to challenge the perception of any 'ale hater'.

25cl is a little under half a pint but the Bolleke looks deceptively larger. It seems just the right size for this beer. The beer stays cool and fresh, rounds work out inexpensive and you get to call out 'Bolleke' without offending anyone. Ah, to be in an Antwerp pub now.

De Koninick is, strangely, the only brewery in Antwerp (apart from one brew pub/restaurant) and has been in the same ownership since 1919, without any corporate take overs. I've yet to come across an Antwerp pub that didn't sell De Koninick on draught and, usually, the only other draught beer will be whatever single Belgian Pilsner they choose to stock.
You can have De Koninick, lager or bottled beer.
Thing is; this system offers the beer drinker many different styles - real choice.

De Koninick, in recent years also offer a stronger ale that they call a 'Triple' and a blonde version of a similar strength to their much loved ale.
I've yet to taste these beers.
I've never had De Koninick from a bottle either.

I can't help but wonder if De Koninick just wouldn't taste the same anywhere but in an Antwerp pub. For this reason - my next Bolleke will be in Antwerp.

My last drink was; Glass of Cote Du Rhone 2006, 14%abv

5 comments:

6x2x2 said...

your making me thirsty for beer and nice weather....

The Beer Revolution said...

Making myself thirsty too.
Gotta sort a trip to Antwerp soon.

The Beer Nut said...

Hate to nit-pick (he said unconvincingly), but it's not the only brewery in Antwerp.

The Beer Revolution said...

It's good to have someone keeping me on my toes!
I shall edit the post accordingly.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

An Antwerp pub might be OK but my new brother-in-law just brought over 2 kegs to Alberta Canada for his wedding and I love it here too. My fist and hopefully not last taste of this.